Saturday 9 July 2011

Defining Swedish

Back in June, I participated in a citizenship ceremony. Yes, I became Swedish. But does a Swedish passport really make me a Swede? The ceremony was attended by hundreds of people from all walks of life and all parts of the world. Africans, Asians, Middle Easterns, Europeans, Americans, Australians were participating to receive their Swedish acknowledgements and to drink coffee and eat cinnamon buns. But are we Swedish? And what is a Swede anyway?

A radio program the other day was discussing this issue. They were talking about the Swedish soul. The essence that makes all Swedes Swedish. One member of the panel was disturbed. She claimed that such discussions were bordering on racist. She suggested that Swedishness needed a new definition.

What is a Swede then? Well, it's simply those who live here.

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick question: Do you even like Sweden?
    From reading what you are writing it seems to be more complaints and negativity than anything else.
    Next thing one wonders about is why you decided to become Swedish when you feel that most of the things we do, say and stand for is just wrong.
    A Swede is not anyone who lives here. A Swede is a person that, like youself, has gone through the citizenship ceremony, was born here or adopted in to this country.
    I lived in the US for 7 years and that would mean in your way of looking at it that I should consider myself an American. This did not happen ones, I was a Sweden, I am a Swede, I'll always be a Swede.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete